Monday 15 January 2018

2017 Reflection: ARMCHAIR TRAVEL ADVENTURES



One of the best things about reading is the armchair travel to wild and wonderful places I could never hope to visit in my lifetime. To keep track of my "travels", I charted all books read in 2017 on my "armchair travel map" - and found that I wasn't as adventurous in my forays as I had planned, with 34% of books set in the UK! 22% were set in the USA, and only 8% in Australia. Africa, Russia and Greenland didn't feature in my reading at all, despite their huge land masses and my determination to visit them in books.

For those as smitten with graphs as I am, here is a breakdown of my armchair travel in 2017: 




My reading goal for 2018 is to expand the map to include more exotic locations and expand my cultural horizon by reading books set in environments very different from my own. I would also like to read more Australian books this year.

Some titles I am aiming to read to expand my armchair travel map are:


To The Bright Edge of the W... To the Bright Edge of the World, by Eowyn Ivey (Alaska)
The Silence of the Sea (Þór... The Silence of the Sea, by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Iceland)
Night Train to Lisbon Night train to Lisbon, by Pascal Mercier (Portugal)
City of Thieves City of Thieves, by David Benioff (Russia)
Chasing the Light Chasing the Light, by Jesse Blackadder (Antarctica)


What is the best armchair travel book you have read? I would love some recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment